Treyson, Lea, Deidre, RJ, Blakelee, Kaiden

Friday, October 24, 2008

Molly Oakley?????




Last year my sisters RaSelle, Sharla and I decided that we needed to learn how to can. My mom never canned while I was growing up because she had to do it all the time as a little girl and she hates it. So now every fall we start canning things. We've done Peaches, Apple pie filling, Salsa, Spaghetti sauce, bottled deer meat and jam. We also dried apples. This week began a very long week of canning and other things. We canned on Tuesday (salsa). On Wednesday, we decided to drive out to Indian Peaks to see if we could find Pine nuts. Usually when the harvest for pine nuts is good they are really easy to find, but this year the harvest was not so good and only a few places had pine nuts and we decided that we could find them. My dad was not to happy about us girls going out in the hills by ourselves (like he thinks we are going to get lost without him, but not remembering that he taught us all how to get around in the hills and never get lost. Last year a couple from northern Utah got lost out in Indian Peaks for 10 days and nearly died. After a 10 hour day of driving every draw and every road out there we came home empty handed, but had a really great time together. On Thursday we had 2 deer given to us by family that doesn't like venison, (my family loves it). With all the men at work my mom, Sharla, RaSelle and I skinned and cut them both up. We were setting there with our hands all bloody talking about canning spaghetti sauce on Friday and I said, "we should call ourselves Molly Oakley, Molly Mormons one day, Annie Oakley the next." Everyone laughed and thought it would be a great idea.
So if anyone out there has a recipe for canning write me and tell me about it.


2 comments:

..toni.. said...

Hey D.. you are the only other person I know who bottles their deer meat!! I love it!! Anyone I tell thinks I am disgusting and wrong...thanks for making me feel normal about venison! Eat some for me. It's been years since I've had any! (I married a California boy who doesn't hunt but always talks about wanting to go...yea right!)Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! That salsa looks good!