Treyson, Lea, Deidre, RJ, Blakelee, Kaiden

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Family Trip to Chinle, AZ






We took a little road trip this weekend to Arizona. My dad served his mission on the Navajo Reservation near the 4 corners area and he has always wanted to take us there. So on Friday we left at 5:00am, most of my family went. All together we had 10 adults and 14 kids. We left Blakelee in Utah with RJ's brother and his wife (she is not a good car seat traveler). Very few of us have ever been to the Grand Canyon, which is sad since we only live 3 hours away from there so we decided to take the long way around and stop in the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon was awesome. It was a little scary because we had so many little kids and there are no fences along the trails we took. We then took a 2 hour drive to Page, AZ to Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell. After only spending about 30 min there we drove another 2 hours to Chinle, AZ which is right in the heart of the Navajo Nation Reservation. Chinle was really interesting they have open range everywhere so there were cows and even horses grazing off side the road right in the middle of town. We spent the night in Chinle and the next morning drove 3 miles to Canyon de Chelly (pronounced Da Shay). We stopped at the visitors center were we took a few pictures near a Navajo Hogan. We spent some time there and the drove just a short distance to the canyon. I thought the Grand Canyon was awesome this was so much better. The Navajo people have lived in this canyon for over 300 years but many other ancient Indians have inhabited this place for over 2000 years. The canyon has seer cliffs that drop from anywhere 30 feet to 1000 feet. There are several look out points, and each one had a different view of the canyon. Some Navajo families still live and farm in the bottom of the canyon. The coolest thing is there are several ancient Anasazi Indian ruins in the cliffs of the canyon. It was just so neat. We spent most of the day in Canyon De Chelly and then drove 30 miles to the town of Pointed Rock. Like I said earlier my dad served his mission there. We couldn't get over to where his lived during that time because the road is very rough and you need a 4x4 to get in there, but we got a general idea of were he served. He had to walk everywhere he went so a typical day for him would be to walk 10 miles to one hogan and then 10 miles to another hogan and then back to his trailer for the night. He really has a love for the Navajo people and has tried to pass that on to us. This part of the country is so beautiful and I would recommend everyone to go there. We drove back to Enterprise that night and got home around 2:00am (we had to make it home for everyones church meetings). It was so fun and like I said above, Canyon De Chelly is awesome.

6 comments:

Crouch6 said...

Oh, I remember my heart sank anytime the kids got close to the railings at the Grand Canyon. It is so pretty there!

Penny said...

Wow, what a cool place. I haven't been to the Grand Canyon and the 4 corners area since I was a little kid. I think it definitely needs to be on our list of places to go when we get back. How fun to go with so many members of your family too.

..toni.. said...

Hey, sounds like a great trip. My family is actually from Blanding so that area is kind of home to me. (I was born in Monticello) My cousin does tours through those canyons and the Anasazi ruins. They are absolutely amazing. Southern Utah is one of my most favorite places and it's funny how most people wouldn't even think of going there for vacation. My mom and her current husband just built a cabin at the base of Blue Mountain. So glad you had fun...as soon as my kids are a little older and can actually walk without whining we will start going down there a little more.

Heather said...

What a great trip - I keep telling Ryon that we need to take a road trip somewhere, but he's such a homebody!! I have never been to the Grand Canyon and would love to go; however, I would probably get sick if I got too close to the railings. :)

On a totally different subject - someone needs to beat Ryon. You can't imagine living with him talking constantly about his 2X dynasty, and that he is unbeaten thus far in the season. I'm praying Bigler beats him this week! Too bad I'm sucking it up and couldn't beat him last week. Oh well!

Alyssa said...

Yep, he's still as crazy as ever! But always keeps me laughing :)

AZ Wrights said...

Great to hear from you...and see your family via blog. Looks and sounds like you are all doing well. I'm impressed with you gardening. Wish I could learn a few tricks...

Keep in touch.

Amy Wright